Color Me Surprised: "Abominable" Gets US BluRay 3D Release!

Labels:


DreamWorks and Pearls "Abominable" is available on BluRay 3D.  In America.  Like, this is no joke: someone other than Warner Bros. is releasing a movie on BluRay 3D as we close out 2019.  It's amazing to think that I almost missed this story as BluRay 3D's are so rare in the states, I resigned myself to importing them from now on (which will be easy to do thanks to my new LG UltraHD BluRay 3D region free player that my wife got me for Christmas...I love you honey)!  When she mentioned she wanted to get this movie I got online to see which country I needed to import this from, only to find out that it can be bought here in the states!  Unbelievable!  Universal didn't even do that for "How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World" (which completes what I consider to be a perfect 3D trilogy) or "Despicable Me 3," but for some reason they decided "Abominable" was worth going out of the way to do this for.

I mean...I'm not complaining, but I do find Universal's special exceptions to be a little on the odd side.  The last time I remember them doing this was for "The Grinch," which was a fairly substandard 3D experience.  However movies that did  NOT get BluRay 3D releases in the states include:

"Captain Underpants: The First Chapter"
"Trolls"
"How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World"
"The Secret Life of Pets 2"
"Hobbs & Shaw"

What's more strange, Universal doesn't release that many 3D movies, and for this list I went back three years.  They did release "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom," "Skyscraper," and "Pacific Rim: Uprising" on BluRay 3D here in the states in limited quantities at least, so I'm not sure why they largely are doing this at random for their animated films.  Also, it should be noted, "Abominable" will cost about $45 if you decide to get it on BluRay 3D; more than double the cost of the standard BluRay (and even more than the 4K release)!  Granted, this makes sense as this is truly a niche product at this point, and I am more than willing to pay that price so long as I can buy the disk.  Either way, this is both a happy and confusing surprise.  Happy because it's one more 3D disk I can legally buy in the states without doing the import game.  Confusing because it's not a movie too many people saw, and the demand for a 3D release was fairly low.  I suppose beggers can't be choosers though, so I'm buying my copy from Best Buy before it sells out (it's also available on Amazon for those who have no moral issues with purchasing from them).

0 comments:

Post a Comment