"Ben-Hur" Reboot Ships Without 3D Version

 
In the midst of the Christmas season I failed to notice that the 2016 reboot of "Ben-Hur" shipped to stores WITHOUT a BluRay 3D version!  I mean, what is wrong with me?  Isn't this the whole reason I started this blog in the first place?!  Alright, to be fair, there is a reason I didn't initially catch onto this.  Because when I went to shop at Best Buy and Fry's the week this movie came out, there were price tags for a BluRay 3D version.  Neither store had any actual copies of this on the shelves, but I figured (for some reason) it had sold out.  Also, I had no intention of buying this movie in the first place, so I had no reason to prod further.  I have no idea why the price tags were on the shelves, but a review of the movie on High Def Digest confirmed that there is no BluRay 3D release.  Worse, there doesn't appear to be an import 3D release either, so if you saw it in 3D while it was in theaters, cherish the memory (if "cherish" is indeed the right word) because it looks like this one is going to be MIA for awhile.

It's one of those hard situations to really write about because it's not like this movie is worth seeing in general, the original movie is far superior and cheaper to boot, yet it's the very principle that a 3D version was made and now it's being denied.  During a week where stores got 3D versions of "The Secret Life of Pets," "Suicide Squad" and "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" were all released with their 3D versions intact.  Also, Disney did us a solid by finally releasing "The Jungle Book" and "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens" on BluRay 3D, so the timing of this non-release is certainly a little weird.  And the frustrating thing is I can't bring myself to fight for a release on this movie because...I don't really want to own it in the first place.  I'm putting it on the MIA list anyway obviously.  If this movie has a 3D version I want it to be available.  That said, this title probably isn't worth getting too riled up over.  Also, there is no 3D version on Vudu.  Just making that clear.

1 comments:

  1. Big Daddy said...:

    You might want to run a story about CES.

    LG pulled the plug on 3D, we have much bigger problems now than MIA reboots.

Post a Comment